If you enjoy a twist on traditional Mexican food, you will love these tacos! Filled to the brim with black beans and tofu (or the meat of your choice), these tacos are bursting with protein and flavor! The ingredients list was enough to make 10 very full, small corn tortilla tacos. I fed Dev and I twice. The way I made this originally was completely vegan and gluten free. Feel free to modify the recipe to your taste buds and lifestyle. If you are going to add meat to this recipe, I recommend a nice pulled pork to soak up the flavor and complement the mango!
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 mango
- 2 avocados
- Pickapeppa Spicy Mango Sauce
- 1 block of Extra Firm Tofu or 1 lb of meat
- 1 tbsp of Chili powder
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- Corn tortillas
- Optional addition: Diced purple onions, green onions, and lettuce
1. At least an hour before you plan to cook, but up to a day before, press your tofu to drain the water. I did this with several sheets of paper towels on both sides by setting my cast iron skillet on top of the tofu for about 20 minutes. I had to replace the paper towels once because they were soaked through.
2. Cut tofu into bite sizes, whatever that means to you is perfect.
3. Toss the tofu in the mixture of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Let this marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
4. When you are ready to cook, heat up your skillet. I used a cast iron skillet. Cook the tofu until it is warm and the outside is turning a little brown.
5. When the tofu is done, either take it out or shove it all to one side. It depends on how big your skillet is. I pushed all the tofu to half of my skillet. Then, dump the corn and black beans in (both drained free of liquid) and heat them up.
6. Slice up your avocado and mango.
7. Throw all of your ingredients on your tacos (which I microwave for about 15 seconds to get them nice and pliable).
8. Add Pickapeppa sauce to taste!